Monday, June 12, 2017

Bottom of the Barrell........

Today, I have decided, is the bottom of the barrell. It's by no means the lowest of the low. But, it certainly is scraping knuckles on pavement, life sux kind of bottom of the barrel.

A quick recap. Not much to say other than, no serious training for 6 months now. Its just over 6 months since I tore the meniscus in my left knee. And now I am struggling to be able to fully straighten my knee. I can't lie on my stomach as it hurts my knee and can't stand on one leg or even stand on both for very long. Concerning, even if I wasn't planning on making a triumphant return to Ironman, it's no way to spend my normal life. I have considered taking up darts, but I don't think I'd be even be able to stand at the bar for a beer right now. Time to change it up.

A quick phone call with Coach who suggested I revisit the surgeon and get the knee cleaned up. So a phone call tomorrow to book an appointment is the first job. Nuts! I feel like I don't have a lot of time to spend waiting for things like this to happen. While others might say, you have all the time in the world. I feel like my triathlon career has an end date and I have a real sense of urgency to get back.

Having said that though, I feel I could as easily curl up in a ball and go to sleep. No activity makes me slow down and yes, its winter and I can bleat on for hours about how winter sux and I struggle and my body wants to hibernate. I think I have been writing this blog for some 8 years or so now and you will find a similar post each year somewhere in the archives related to this seasonal adjustment disorder I get. I try to think of the folk living in extreme cold climates and think how lucky I am to have such a mild place to see out my winter, but bah humbug!

Anyway, I have all of the systems, processes, tools, resources and warm clothes at my disposal to get back. But right now I have to be the most unconditioned I have been ever! Even before I took up Triathlon and running. That's why the bottom of the barrel reference. "Then I'm down in the bottom of a pit in the blazing sun." Yes, I know, always so dramatic.

So what ya going to do about it Sammi?

Well, focus on what I can do and can control. Make adjustments as required AND, get ready for the biggest come back of the millennia.....

No comments:

Post a Comment