Thursday, June 6, 2013

Update from the blackline.....

Well, the black line, the finish one that is, has moved itself wayyyyyyyyyyyy way away. With new goals to get faster, fitter and stronger in the game plan prior to next seasons races, compounded with yet another 'injury' though Coach doesn't think it is major and I agree, the black line and the goal of reaching said black line has a lot of sweat and hard work in front of it.

So, first order of the day is to rest post Ironman. And yep 4 weeks is plenty. I have been ticking along the program swimming, walking, and bike on both wind trainer and one outing for an easy 40kms with the girls. More about catching up, as I hadn't seen anyone since Ironman, than focusing on a particular aspect of the session.

I have also been doing a lot of strength, stretch, yoga/stretch therapy regularly to start working on that strength aspect. Last night I headed down to meet a girlfriend (no show) at a local TRX gym who was offering free night classes to members of the triathlon club I go to. I rolled in with a little apprehension. Not sure what I was in for as far as doing a class on TRX. I have a set at home and Coach has given me exercises to do on them that are run/swim specific, but that's about it. oh and I have done some you-tubing to watch video clips on it. I have to say it was great. The guy who ran the class was pretty amazing and has done loads of study and training on TRX. Sitting here now I can feel the shoulders and abs are tired from the load. It's all body weight so I enjoy that aspect of the training too. It felt very much like the old rock climbing days when we used a lot of balance, body weight etc in our training. I'd like to do more.

Interestingly the other day at stretch/yoga class I did a bridge, raised my butt and then could alternate taking one leg at a time off the ground. When raising my butt in the air with left leg straight, no dramas. but with right leg out straight using left leg to drive my butt up was a total workout and I had to focus hard on getting my a$$ off the ground. Last night with 1 leg in the TRX band and the other working as a ghost leg was a huge eye opener. Again left leg straight, right leg in TRX band driving up through the right leg to butt up bridge, ok. But it was impossible for me to drive off the ground on my left side. Effectively my left glute. glute medias has gone fast to sleep. What this means is that my right side of my body is doing all of the hard work. that will show in pretty much all aspects of my training. Riding up hills on the bike will mean my right side is working harder than my left. Running will mean pushing and driving more through my right side and ummmm guess which side has the ITB issue...yep, the one doing all of the work. What I took away from yesterday's short session at the TRX gym, was I have a lot of work to do team.

Coincidently Coach rings me and says we are on for tomorrow night at his joint for a strength and core session. He wants to extend on what I am already doing over winter to help with the very issues that I am discovering with a lot of clarity. Yep, we have work to do team!

No comments:

Post a Comment