Monday, August 13, 2012

A Badly Needed Trip Away

Fiji...........


A week away with hubby to refresh, reconcile, regroup and recommence! Just the ticket for a triathlete who had lost her way.

A true friend knows the song you hold in your heart
and can sing the song back to you
when you have forgotten the words.

I had over the course of a year lost my way completely. From just after I completed my Ironman in 2011 I began a downward spiral into a pretty ugly place and unfortunately took some dearly loved people with me.

It's a long story and too muddy to wallow through now. But, with the help of my husband who threw me over his shoulder and carried me off to a romantic refuge in the sun did I manage to find some perspective and only then, away from the quagmire could I start to refocus on what it is that keeps my spirit positive and me loving life.


Fiji was a chance to step out of the day to day confines of my life and look at it from a distance. To critique, analyse, detach and evaluate. Fiji was about long conversations about matters of our hearts, our dreams, our direction, our future together. Fiji was about long comfortable silences and listening to the waves rushing up to the shore just outside our doorstep and sea birds calling us to a lazy breakfast and watching hermit crabs scuttle about on the sand. Bliss. A shared bliss I hadn't realised I had missed until then.


With reflection came healing and confirmation of our goals and dreams. And then a plan developed and from there a realisation that we were going to have an amazing year ahead in the lead up to Ironman 2013. It is time to dig in and start focusing on the black line again. It had gotten a little fuzzy I admit. But now I am more than ever refocused and determined.





No comments:

Post a Comment